Absentee Ballot

Voters unable to get to the polls on Election Day are eligible to vote by paper absentee ballot.  You must meet one of the following requirements:

  • Due to advanced age, disability, illness or for medical emergency call office for more information
  • You are a member of the Armed forces*
  • You are a spouse or dependent of  a member of the Armed Forces*
  • You are a student attending school outside the county of your voter registration*
  • You temporarily reside outside the state but are still eligible to vote in Kentucky *
  • You are incarcerated in jail and have been charged but not convicted of a crime.
    * – Must be mailed to an out of county address.

You may request an application for paper ballot in person, by mail, by phone or by fax.

Voters may request an application for an absentee ballot as early as ten weeks before the election.

The application must be completed and mailed to the County Clerk prior to 7 days before the election.  Once the Clerk receives the application, the paper ballot will be sent to the voter.  Please allow ample time for your ballot to be returned to you and to be mailed back to the clerk to be received by 6 pm on Election Day.

Voting by Absentee Machine

If you are going to be out of town on Election Day and you do not qualify for a paper ballot, you may vote on an absentee machine in the County Clerk’s office at least 30 days prior to the election.  In Gallatin County, we open the absentee machine approximately five weeks prior to the election.  For more details, contact the Gallatin County Clerk’s office at 859-567-5411.